DACA is not an end goal. It’s a screw bag of arbitrary and mean conditions that relegates Dreamers to a third rate state. Passage of the Dream Act of 2017 should be the goal.
- DACA recipients are not eligible for federal benefits.
- DACA recipients can travel abroad only if they receive permission from the government. A DACA recipient generally must show that he or she is traveling abroad for humanitarian, employment, or educational purposes. (So, what, they can’t go to the good side of Niagra Falls to have a look?) Immigration officials have the authority to deny parole at a port of entry in certain circumstances.
- DACA grantees are not covered under the ACA and cannot buy health insurance through the health insurance marketplace or health insurance exchange.
- DACA recipients are not eligible to enlist in the U.S. Armed Forces or the Coast Guard. (The 900 or so DACA recipients that are enlisted are part of the Military Accessions Vital to the National Interest (MAVNI) Pilot Program. MAVNI is a special DOD recruitment program that selects legal immigrants – referred to as aliens in the MAVNI fact sheet – who are deemed to have vital skills needed to serve in the military.)
- (Of course) DACA recipients aren’t even legal US residents much less US citizens who are the only people eligible to vote.
- Even undocumented immigrant males between the ages of 18 and 26 who do not have DACA also are required to register for the draft. If they fail to register for Selective Service they will be unable to prove ‘good moral character’ for the requisite five previous years prior to the filing of an application for Citizenship which will in all likelihood result in the denial of the application.