It’s Thanksgiving week…but here’s a Meatless Monday recipe for you! We eat these frequently – and everyone loves them! FYI…a tostada is an open-faced Mexican sandwich, with layers of food piled onto a crispy corn tortilla – or into a crispy tortilla bowl. You can do these buffet style – everyone assembles their own!
A QUICK NOTE: use canned pinto beans to make these a quick & easy meal…I prefer to use whole beans & mash them myself, but you could use refried beans as well.
Components – use any or all!
- Deep fried tortillas: fry corn tortillas in hot oil until crisp. Drain well on paper towels. (Or make tortilla bowls – link below).
- Refritos (recipe follows
- Additions: shredded lettuce, grated cheese, tomatoes, sour cream, guacamole, salsa, sliced radish, minced olives, shredded cabbage, diced avocado
- smear refritos on a corn tortilla
- add whatever-you-want.
- top with salsa & guacamole – you’re done!
2 cups dry pinto beans, presoaked (or 2 cans cooked – skip to step 2)
2-3 T olive oil
2 cups minced onion
5-6 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. Cumin
1.5 tsp salt
optional (but yummy): red bell pepper, minced
1. Cook the presoaked beans in plenty of water until very soft. Drain & set aside.
2. Heat the olive oil in a skillet. Add onion, half the garlic, cumin & salt. Sauté over medium heat about 10 minutes, or until the onions are soft. Add the bell pepper, and cook 5 minutes more. Add rest of garlic; season with black pepper.
3. Turn heat to low, add beans & mix well. Mash with a fork or potato masher, and cook for just a few minutes more (if using canned beans, cook until heated through). Serve.
I bought these from Amazon – and I use them frequently. Just warm up flour tortillas, place them in the molds & bake at 350 for about 15 minutes, or until golden. Then make your tostada in the bowl.